Whispering Hope

The life and times of my daughter, Stephanie Hope. Stephanie came to us in May of 2005 and her adoption was finalized in October of 2006. She is 16 years old and struggles with Bipolar Disorder, Major Depression, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and Post Traumatic Stess Disorder as a result of a lifetime of abuse and neglect.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Skipping

Today we got a phone call from the school. Stephanie and a group of friends were found to be skipping their Service Learning class (on Thursdays they go to a local elementary school to tutor) to go to McDonald's. She has been suspended through Monday. Tomorrow is a half-day, so it isn't as harsh as it sounds, but I was still very dissappointed.

Last night, I was showing her Dad around the grade reporting website and saw that her big English paper had been graded and she'd made a 95 on it. It brought her grade for the class up to a B. I left her a note this morning telling her how proud I was of her.

Then she went and did a silly thing like this. Not only were they cutting class, they were shortchanging these kids who needed their help, they were crossing a VERY busy street and a VERY unpleasant part of town. There is no limit to the bad things that could have happened.

Joe and I discussed it and decided that Stephanie would work 8 hours a day Friday, Saturday and Monday, as well as 5 hours on Sunday, in our book-shop. She is also going to do at least four hours of community service and is grounded from the phone and computer for two weeks.

When I picked her up this afternoon, I didn't say anything about it. I wanted to wait and hear what she had to say. When we got home, I started dinner and she came in the kitchen and said, "I need to talk to you." She didn't know that I already knew. She asked if I had spoken to Joe and I told her yes. She said, "Well, I wrote you a letter about what happened and I want to read it to you."


Dear Mom,

I know you're mad and I'm very, very sorry. I don't know what I'm doing. I know I shouldn't have done it. I know what could have happened. I'm sorry I put you through that. I'm sorry that I let you down. You were so proud of me and I screwed it up. I was doing so good until I let people tell me what to do. I knew what I was doing was wrong and I know I shouldn't have done it. I've been so stupid today; please fogive me. I thought this school would help me, but I am just getting into more trouble. I'm not going to lie to you. Yes, I went to McDonalds and it was stupid, too. I don't care what the punishment is, I only care about disappointing you and not making you proud of me anymore. I'm sorry I disappointed you.

I think she was a bit hard on herself, but I was glad to see that she handled this in a mature way. I fully expected a lot of excuses and whining and griping and yelling, but there was none of that. I guess we have made a lot of progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home